Скачать 11.21 Kb.
Write the plural form of the following.
A regular nouns
story, play, glass, flag, photo, name, match, knife, bush, chief, page, radio, roof, prize, set, key, factory, wolf, piano, class, cup, city
B irregular nouns
child, goose, man, foot, mouse, woman, sheep, person, deer, tooth, ox
C nouns of Greek or Latin origin
criterion, datum, formula, crisis, stimulus, index, phenomenon, medium, oasis, nucleus, memorandum, basis, radius, analysis, symposium, hypothesis
D compound nouns
fellow-worker, merry-go-round, man-of-war, passer-by, sister-in-law, forget-me-not, room-mate, lily-of-the-valley, ticket-holder, commander-in-chief, governor-general
Exercise # 2
Divide the following words into two columns: countable and uncountable nouns (you must get 25 uncountable nouns)
furniture, coffee, leaf, food, computer, list, blood, job, work, language, country, advice, information, money, progress, permit, permission, baggage, luggage, beach, traffic, weather, window, knowledge, air, water, holiday, damage, accommodation, scenery, scene, pigeon, bread, mountain, kick, news, accident, laugh, flour, laughter
Exercise # 3
Match the word on the left with its partner on the right.
Exercise # 4
Change the uncountable nouns in bold type into countable ones in the sentences using the words from Exercise 3.
Example: Buy some bread or. your way home. — Buy a loaf of bread on your way home.
1.I had luck in the casino yesterday.
2,I saw lightening and then heard thunder in the west.
3. How much luggage have you got with you?
4. Would you like some more cake?
5. Daddy brought me milk chocolate!
6. He blew smoke out of his pipe into the open window.
7, How much sugar do you take with your tea?
8. We need to buy some furniture for our kitchen.
9. Give me please brown shoe polish.
10. He told us very interesting information last night.
Exercise # 5
Write out the nouns which are used only in the plural form (you must get 25 nouns).
athletics, cattle, scissors, taxes, pyjamas, economics, police, news, means, goods, pants, subjects, billiards, darts, outskirts, premises, mechanics, spectacles, clothes, stairs, maths, shorts, tights, gymnastics, congratulations, crossroads, patience, scales, lodgings, foundations, equipment, research, authorities, soap, contents, looks, countryside, traffic-lights, tongs, toothpaste, headphones, delays, binoculars, electronics, eyes, trousers
Exercise # 6
Open the brackets and choose the proper form.
1.I feel that the jury already (have/has) thought that you are innocent.
2. The government (was/were) not able to pursue the policy which had been promised before the elections.
3. The police (is/are) investigating the case now.
4. The crew of the plane (consist/consists) of four people.
5. His company (was/were) founded in 1996.
6. The party (was/were) in full swing. The music was playing, the company (was/were) eating and drinking.
7. My family (is/are) early risers, so at 11 o'clock p.m. the family (is/are) always in bed.
8. The cattle (is/are) in the field next to it.
9. The committee (is/are) full of enthusiasm.
10. Such an organization as the board of directors (is/are) elected by stockholders.
11. The ship turned out to be a good ship,the crew (was/were) skilled seamen.
12. The government usually (consist/consists) of the prime minister and several ministers.
13. The average American family (have/has) three children.
14. The jury (is/are) represented by twelve people.
15. The crops (is/are) good this summer.
Exercise # 7
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the verb to be
1, The crew___rescued by our boat,
2. Her clothes ___very fashionable.
3. Your advice___.always welcome.
4. The information he gave us___very useful.
5.A little money___better than nothing.
6. That species of spiders ___commonly seen in deserts of North Africa.
7.I think her hair___dyed. 8. No news.___good news.
9.I don't want to work here. The equipment___too complicated.
10. There___a lot of sheep in the field.
11.I think this ___detailed research.
12. Where___my spectacles?
13. The phenomena___unusual.
14. Mathematics___ difficult, but physics___more difficult to my mind.
15. The cattle___up the hill.
1. Look out! The stairs___.very old.
2. In my opinion, looks___very important for an actor.
3. The police___ responsible for these actions.
4. Criteria___changing, you know.
5. The committee___set up several months ago.
6. The traffic___very heavy in this street. Be careful at the corner. When the traffic-lights___red, don't cross the street.
7. The working wages ___ up.
8. The knowledge she has got at college___very deep.
9. The carrots___delicious.
10. The vacation___always fun.
11. The funeral ___ usually a sad occasion.
12. The evidence___against him.
13. The contents of the letter ___made public.
14. The opera-glasses___out of focus.
15. The grapes___ripe.
Exercise # 8
Find the mistakes in the follow ing sentences and correct them. Some sentences have more than one mistake.
1. We had such a terrible weather that we left the hotel in the country (we did not have heatings there) and took an accommodation with a fire place in town instead.
2. Yesterday I got a permission to go there. What about you? Have you got your permits?
3.I love French impressionists but I would need an advice from a specialist before I bought any. My knowledges in that area are very poor.
4. Her works are definitely making great progresses these days. She has done a lot of researches lately.
5. Have you heard that Jack's lodging is in London, but in the outskirt of the city? These are interesting news, aren't they?
6. The police is looking for the criminals who escaped last night. The informations about them were sent to all the police stations of the district.
7. Political and economic crises is frequent for Africa.
8. How many luggages are you taking? Oh, I think you won't be able to cope with them. You'll have to hire a porter.
9. Last week was awful for her. She had two tooth pulled out, her childs got ill and finally her husband lost moneys. 1
0. The tights is too loose for her.
Exercise # 9
Translate the sentences into English.
1. Его советы всегда бывают такими убедительными (convincing). Почему ты никогда им не следуешь? 2. Какая ненастная (nasty) погода! В такую дождливую погоду лучше сидеть дома. 3. Она делает хорошие успехи в английском, 4. Я удивлен (be surprised), что она поверила этим странным новостям. Боюсь, они недостоверны. Кто их ей сообщил? 5. Мне кажется, эти весы сломаны. 6. Вчера я положил сюда деньги. Где они? Я не могу их найти. 7. Я считаю, что помещение для нашего магазина вполне подходящее. 8. Мне не нравятся эти джинсы. Мне кажется, та пара джинсов лучше. 9. Экипаж был готов выполнить (fulfil) приказ капитана. 10. Критерии часто меняются, 11. Ваши товары сделаны очень плохо. 12. Нику необходимо сшить (sew) новые брюки. У меня есть хорошая синяя материя. 13. Он купил буханку хлеба, пакет молока, кусок мыла и тюбик зубной пасты. 14. Информация о ценах очень интересна. 15. Здесь нет светофора, и перекресток очень опасное место. 16. Виды этих растений (plant) неизвестны. 17. Вдруг позади себя я услышал громкий смех, 18. Его знания по математике лучше моих, 19. Ты взял бинокль? — Нет, он нам не понадобится. Наши места во втором ряду (row). 20. Улики были важными, и он чувствовал, что суд присяжных был против него. 21. В Англии зарплата рабочим выплачивается каждую неделю. 22. Актеров встретили аплодисментами. 23. Мои часы отстают. 24. Морковь богата витаминами. 25. Она считает, что современная одежда красива и удобна (convenient)
|Write the plural form of the following. A regular nouns||Write the plural form of the following. A regular nouns|
|Write the she/he/it form of these verbs and match to the pictures||Countable nouns: leaf, computer, list, job, language, country, permit, beach, window, holiday, scene, pigeon, mountain, accident, laugh Uncountable nouns|
|Countable nouns: leaf, computer, list, job, language, country, permit, beach, window, holiday, scene, pigeon, mountain, accident, laugh Uncountable nouns||Registration Form Cherepovets English Forum Registration Form-due march 15, 2013 Name|
|Still I rise You may write me down in history||Nicholas Sparks This novel was both a joy and a challenge to write; a|
Write the verbs in Present Simple:
Mother||Present Simple A. Write the third person singular of these verbs. Follow the example|
|Exercise Read and write a transcription of Russian words. English|